LOGAN SQUARE — Lost Lake is joining the national “A Day Without A Woman” movement — but not as it was intended.
Instead of closing for Wednesday’s protest (which doubles as International Women’s Day), the beloved tiki bar, 3154 W. Diversey Ave., has decided to stay open and show solidarity for women by serving “girly” drinks and making donations to a women-related cause.
“As a team, we decided to open for International Women’s Day and A Day Without a Woman General Strike, because we are a women-led small business worthy of your hard earned money,” the bar wrote on Facebook, adding that its staff is mostly made up of women.
From 6 p.m.-2 a.m. Wednesday, an all-woman staff will serve a special menu of “girly drinks,” including a “Womanhattan.”
Proceeds will benefit the Transformative Justice Law Project of Illinois, an organization that supports transgender women and gender non-conforming folks.
The bar was one of many in the neighborhood to close for February’s “A Day Without Immigrants” action. Wednesday’s action, similar to “A Day Without Immigrants,” was designed to show how important women are to America’s economy.
Here are the cocktails you can expect:
• Hanky Panky (Ada Coleman, Head Bartender at The Savoy London, 1903-1926): London Dry Gin, Cocchi di Torino Vermouth, Fernet Branca
• Cuzco (Julie Reiner , founder of The Clover Club, New York City): Pisco, Aperol, lemon, grapefruit, cherry brandy
• Mercado Carmin Adapted from Mafer Tejeda, first woman to win World Class Mexico): Reposado Tequila, mezcal, grapefruit, carrot, pomegranate, lime, absinthe, beet halo
• Womanhattan (In honor of Ivy Mix and Lynnette Marrero, founders of Speed Rack): Rye whiskey, sweet vermouth, Angostura bitters
• Appleton Old Fashioned (In honor of Joy Spence, Master Blender at Appleton Estate): Appleton Signature Blend, cane syrup, Angostura bitters
• Gin Gin Mule (Audrey Saunders, founder of The Pegu Club, New York City): London Dry Gin, lime, ginger beer, Angostura bitters
• Some Days Last a Long Time (Erin Hayes and Shelby Allison, Lost Lake): Scotch Whisky, sherry, coconut, lemon, absinthe