Just ‘cause mum is a lovely lady doesn’t mean she always wants flowers and chocolates on Mother’s Day. And breakfast in bed is also well and good, but mums love the tech stuff, too.So treat Mum to a new gadget that will send her spiralling into the digital age or will give her the edge she needs to morph into a supermum.
The best tech doesn’t always have to burn a hole in your pocket either: with this guide, TechRadar’s Aussie team has scoured the realm for some of the coolest gadgets with the fairest price tags so you can treat your tech-loving mum to some amazing new gear.
For the snap-happy mum
- Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 ($88): Give mum the opportunity to capture her favourite memories instantly. Available in five fun colours – white, blue, pink, yellow and black – the Instax Mini 8 is cute and easy to use, producing those special images on the spot. So treat mum to a bit of compact cuteness with one of these from .
- Canon PowerShot G9 X ($468.64): It’s got style, it’s slim and slips into a pocket or handbag quite easily. and follows the kids around with superfast autofocus. There’s built-in Wi-Fi and a touch-sensitive screen. If you think it’s something mum would like, you can .
- HP Sprocket ($199): If mum already has a camera she loves, let her level it up with the ability to print her photos wherever and whenever she wants. This smartphone-sized portable printer from HP creates 2 x 3-inch prints or stickers. The HP Sprocket app can even be used to print images posted on social media, plus the photos can be jazzed up with borders, emojis and filters. It connects via Bluetooth and requires no ink cartridge. It’s .
- Canon SELPHY CP1200 printer ($135): If the smaller photo prints that the HP Sprocket produces don’t appeal, mum might like the flexibility of the Canon SELPHY CP1200, which gives her the option of printing different sizes. The 4 x 6 prints are even waterproof! Mum can even get creative with built-in filters. .
For the communicative mum
- Moto G5 Plus (from $399): Does your mum need a new phone to stay in touch with friends and family? Motorola’s Moto G5 Plus is its latest ‘budget flagship’ and has a premium build, great specs and all without a painful price tag. It’s available in the 3GB RAM/16GB storage configuration for . If you’re after the roomier 4GB RAM/32GB configuration, the only current option is picking it up where you also have the option of both gold and grey finishes.
- Oppo R9s ($597): This is another great option if you’re looking for a smartphone on a budget. Not only does it come packing some exceptional specs, it also features the Beautify 4.0 software for creating the most flattering selfies imaginable. And it charges lightning quick too. It’s a phone with a premium feel sans the price tag. It’s a great gift that’s .
- Samsung Galaxy S8 ($949): If price isn’t an issue, you could spoil mum rotten this Mother’s Day by getting her the latest flagship from Samsung. , offering a great user experience and a gorgeous and large screen. It retails for $1,199, but you .
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus ($1,299): If mum isn’t too keen on an Android phone, you can always surprise her with Apple’s iPhone 7 Plus, with its dual rear cameras, great performance and solid battery life. Along with the great phone, give mum the luxury of oodles of storage. You can for $1,299.
- Moto G4 Play ($199): If you don’t have masses of cash to splash on your mum but still want show your love for her with a new handset, the Moto G4 Play is a great budget option. It’s a phone that wants to have some fun and it’s hard to not be impressed by the powerful and bright Moto G4 Play, especially when it’s .
For the fit mum
- Fitbit accessories: Nothing says “I love you, Mum” like some jewellery, but you can also add the encouragement to live a healthier lifestyle and show her how much you care. Fitbit trackers have a range of accessories that’s great looking jewellery and they come in simple designs like the bracelets for the Flex 2, , or the lariat to wear as a necklace , to the beautifully designed and fancy accessories from that’ll suit every budget.
- Apple Watch (from $399): Your mum’s wrist deserves the best companion and the Apple Watch is the best smartwatch you can buy right now. She can take calls, answer texts and maintain a fit lifestyle, among other things, with this smart little gadget that’s easily customisable, has great performance and looks pretty darn neat too. The Apple Watch is .
- Misfit Ray ($139.95): If mum’s been wanting to start a fitness regime and needs something to monitor her progress, the Misfit Ray is a great budget option that does just that – tracks steps and sleep, buzzes to remind her to move and silently wakes her up in the morning to get breakfast ready. And its strange design looks surprisingly good on the wrist, too. It’s .
- Fitbit Flex 2 ($74): It’s the tracker that started it all, now in its latest incarnation. Not only can mum keep tabs on the number of steps she take each day and track her sleep, she can even jump into the pool with this sleek band on your wrist. Right now, , saving you $75 on the RRP of $149.
For the hardworking mum
- iPad Pro 9.7 ($889): If mum’s a bit of a workaholic and needs to get work done while on the move, then the iPad Pro is the best tablet for the job. The smaller screen and powerful innards ensure that the job gets done without being cumbersome. Along with the Smart Keyboard and the Apple Pencil, it’s the perfect companion for the palm or the bag. And the 32GB version of this efficient piece of gadgetry is . All you need to go is make a colour choice that mum would like.
- Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (from $899): Is your mum the creative type? Then you could consider gifting her “the tablet that can replace a laptop”. The 12-inch Microsoft Surface Pro 4 features a high resolution PixelSense Display and has been designed for portability and performance. With , it’s the perfect gift to get mum’s creative juices flowing.
- Livescribe 3 Smartpen ($249): The pen is mightier than the keyboard. Designed to take the pain out of digitising, archiving and sharing handwritten notes and sound recordings, its wide-ranging capabilities should appeal to many, from note-taking business people to list-scribbling shoppers. Although, it has to be noted, that with this latest version, digitisation can only happen if Livescribe’s proprietary dotted paper is used. You can grab one from .
- Wacom Bamboo Spark ($134): This smart notebook will let mum leave hand-written notes for the family that never get lost, being safely stored in the cloud. The Bamboo Spark is for the note makers who still enjoy writing with a pen. It comprises a smart pen and pad that, with the push of a button, converts handwriting into ‘living’ digital files. The Wacom Inkspace app can then organise, edit and share musings and sketches with the world or just the family. And it’s .
For the musically oriented mum
- Ruark Audio R1 tabletop radio ($399): Oozing old-world charm, this tabletop digital radio is a must-have. It’s encased in either walnut veneer or black and white lacquer and easily plays the numerous pre-loaded radio channels or can stream Spotify playlists via Bluetooth. This elegant device .
- UE Boom 2 ($179): Give mum the ability to listen to music while she’s pottering away in the kitchen or the garden. One of the best Bluetooth speakers available today is Logitech’s Ultimate Ears Boom 2. It’s the 360-degrees wireless speakers with a powerful bass that features Siri and Google Now voice integration. Officeworks does stock these audio powerhouses for $179 in , , and .
- Bose QuietComfort 25 wireless on-ear headphones ($319.20): With exemplary sound quality and equally excellent ambient noise cancellation, the QC25 will suit the serious or the casual listener, providing a wonderfully immersive experience when watching movies or TV shows, playing games or just listening to tunes. It also carries a premium price tag of $399, but and save nearly $80.
- Beats Solo 2 wireless on-ear headphones ($299.25): Great sound and chic style come together in this set of headphones from Beats by Dre. It’s comfortable and will leave mum foot-tapping as she listens to her favourite music. And, in honour of Mother’s Day 2017, Microsoft is offering a saving of nearly $100 on these premium headphones, so , down from $399.
For the globetrotting mum
- Tile (from $37): If mum is constantly on the move and, as a consequence, misplacing keys, money, bags and whatnot, this little white square will help her keep tabs on misplaced items via Bluetooth and a companion app. It’s slim, it’s waterproof and it sticks onto any item or attaches to a key ring. It’s a great gift idea on a budget and , while .
- Mighty Purse (from $80): If you’d like to keep mum charged up through the day as she goes about doing her thing, then the leather bags from Mighty Purse will do the trick. (or you could find an item on sale for cheaper) and they all come with a slimline battery to charge a smartphone.
- Dell Power Companion PW7015M portable charger ($179): Portable chargers can be super handy if you need to juice-up your gadgets while you’re on the go – but most don’t support devices like laptops. The Dell Power Companion solves that issue – it comes with both the large and small Dell power tips (and charges from either) – or there is also a USB-C version. It’s intended for Dell laptops, but any USB-C-enabled device can also be topped up. The 12,000mAh version is .
For the book-loving mum
- Amazon Kindle Paperwhite ($181.80): If your mum loves to read, give her the convenience of carrying her entire library around with her. The latest version of the Kindle Paperwhite is the best yet. With Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity globally, downloading books anywhere is a breeze. The screen light is easily adjusted to suit the reading environment and the battery generally lasts a few weeks between charges, even with the light on. And it’s the most cost-effective Kindle too, .
- Kobo Aura H2O and Aura One (from $258.51): If your mother prefers to read where it’s nice and quiet, taking her books to the bath might be her way of relaxing. Or perhaps she loves to laze on the beach with her favourite read. If that’s the case, the dust- and waterproof Kobo Aura H2O is the perfect reading platform. With speedy page turns and long battery life, it’s just like reading a book, and you can . You could even consider gifting them the Kobo Aura One, which has a larger, beautiful screen and a high-quality reading experience. You can .
- Kindle Unlimited membership ($13.99): Give your book-loving mum the gift that keeps on giving. Kindle Unlimited offers over a million titles to read for after a 30 day free trial period – that’s less than the price of your average bookstore purchase.
- Audible membership ($14.95): This Mother’s Day gift will provide your mum with a different way to enjoy books. This Amazon-owned services lets you listen to audiobooks on your smartphone or tablet and carry around a library wherever you go – on the commute to work, on school runs, while shopping or in the kitchen. Audible offers a free month-long service to all new customers, followed by .
For the pampered mum
- Dyson Supersonic hair dryer ($499): This gift has ‘pampered’ written all over it. and we think there’s nothing better to use to get mum’s luscious locks dried and looking shiny. So if you’ve got the extra change and a need to spoil mum this Mother’s Day, get her the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer .
For the homemaker mum
- Google Chromecast 2 ($55): Let mum get cosy on the couch and stream some of her favourite TV shows and movies. The Chromecast is one of the best media streamers available today and it’s great value for money. , you can get the Chromecast 2 at OfficeWorks and mum can get her streamed entertainment straight to her TV.
- Parrot Flower Power ($89.99): If mum’s got green fingers and loves to tend her garden, you could help her keeps tab on her plants by getting this plant monitor. She just has to stick the device into the soil and connect via a smartphone app. She’ll be notified when her plants need watering and everything else she needs to know about over 7,000 different plants. It’s available for $89.99 from Mighty Ape in either or .
For the gourmet mum
- Cuisinart popcorn maker ($75): , Cuisinart’s EasyPop hot air popcorn maker not only looks cool (in red), but can make up to ten cups of popcorn in three minutes. It doesn’t even need any oil, so it’s the perfect accompaniment for those home-based movie date nights.
- DeLonghi Icona Pump Espresso ($238): Want to treat mum to lazy mornings? You’ll need the DeLonghi Icona Pump Espresso coffee maker that features a self-priming system to ensure the device is always ready for use. It takes both ground coffee and pods and mixes steam and air for the perfect cappuccino. Available in bright red, and perfect for that Mother’s Day breakfast cuppa, this coffee maker is available .
- Panasonic SD-2501 bread maker ($199): Gifting mum with this bread maker from Panasonic will not only ensure your family constantly has freshly-baked bread on the table, it can even make you jam! There are over 12 baking programs to choose from with an automatic nut and raisin dispenser. It also has a very at Harvey Norman.
- Breville BKE825 smart kettle ($122): Mum love her morning and afternoon cuppa? Then she would love this smart kettle that features five different temperature settings for the perfect brew, including a ‘keep warm’ option. It’s .