As you begin playing, keep the following tips in mind to improve your performance in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links.
You should make every effort to complete at least the 1-star Duel Quizzes, since they offer some nice rewards. When you complete 1-6, you access the Block Attack card. Complete 1-7 to receive Banner of Courage card. And 1-11 nets you the Remove Trap card. These are particularly useful cards, so you should make sure to snag them once the game lets you, the better to face more difficult opponents down the road.
If you participate in the launch celebration event, your reward is a set of three Ultra Rare cards in a gift box. They are: Dark Magician, Blue-Eyes White Dragon, and Red-Eyes Black Dragon. Since they are at level 7 and 8, you can use them to perform tribute summons. Build decks around them and you can really dominate. Just be careful about relying too much on them. A couple of Ultra Rare cards in a deck is likely sufficient.
You’ll know if you got an Ultra Rare or Super Rare card in a card pack if you see multiple Kuriboh pop up on your screen after you’ve purchased the pack.
If you have a monster that you can place in a defense position to soak up the damage your opponent is dealing (this works particularly well when your monster has a high DEF stat), that can really turn the tide of battle. Remember that even when a monster in a defensive position is defeated, your LP won’t take damage. Definitely pay attention not only to the attack opportunities, but also to defensive windows.
Build your decks carefully, keeping a few of the following tips in mind:
- Always keep a few spell cards handy, ideally with an assortment of offensive, buff, and utility spells. The last group requires specific timing, but you can really turn the tide of battle.
- Trap cards work in very specific situations, so make sure to have some handy if you’ll be facing opponents against whom such cards are beneficial.
- Keep a lot of 1-4 star monsters at hand, so that you have time to allow a few stronger monsters to find their ground and participate in battles near the end. It’s better to have a few weaker monsters that you can easily summon than to build a team consisting primarily of powerful monsters that you can’t afford to summon when things come down to the wire.
- Sometimes a smaller deck is better. Keep your cards focused and don’t overload it with cards that don’t play to your strategy.
- Don’t forget to set skills for your deck once you have it unlocked. Each duelist’s skill is different, so make sure you have at least one deck that makes the most of that skill.
Ever card pack may be the same price, but the cards they offer are valued far differently. Make sure you look through the possible cards you can get from the various boxs before investing your gems so that you’re getting cards that match your playstyle.
Going online is fun, but it can be frustrating if you’re not prepared for the other duelists waiting to battle.
- Make sure you’ve built your deck beyond what you were given at the beginning of the game. This will give you an advantage against players who use that beginners deck and help withstand duelists with custom decks.
- Try ranked duels to be better matched against duelists at your level.
Have a tip? Let us know in the comments below and we’ll add it to the list, or you can add it yourself by signing in and clicking the “Edit Page” button on the top left side of the page.